Friday, August 29, 2008

More Disassembly...

I made a slightly unpleasant discovery when I removed the driver's side fender on Tuesday...turns out that it's a replacement fender. My first clue were the patches of fiberglass on the back...they hid extra mounting holes that usually come with reproduction fenders. Also, there was no factory date stamp:







However, the biggest clue that this wasn't a factory fender:



That's right! Made in Taiwan. Notice the amount of rust on the inside of the fender. It's only surface rust so it can be easily fixed...however, before this fender goes back on, I am going to coat every square inch of it to help prevent future rust. Or, I may try and find a replacement original GM fender.

Moving on from that, you can see that progress has been made on the sanding front, still a long way to go. Also, here's a shot of the dead engine that's getting ready to be pulled:






More to come!

No comments: